Pages

Sunday 22 April 2012

Sunday Dinner

Growing up, anytime there was a special occasion my mom would ask us for food requests. And everytime my request was the same: her chicken pot pie!

Recently I inherited her 'recipe' over the phone. I made a couple of tweaks, like replacing the potatoes with sweet potatoes and shredding rather than cubing the chicken, but essentially this is it. I will tell you this...Dev is always going on about my cooking (he knows it's the best way to keep me in the kitchen--make me think I'm good in there to start;) but truly this pie is his (and my) favourite! There are only two of us here, and only about a quarter of it left haha.

I do cheat. My mom always did too. But it makes for the best pie...and a real easy recipe. Frozen puff pastry!

So here it is...this couldn't be easier...

Tenderflake frozen puff pastry, thawed

2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded

1 sweet potatoe, cubed and boiled

1 1/2 - 2 cups of frozen veggies, steamed

2 cans Cream of chicken soup

salt and pepper to taste

egg whites

Turn oven on to 375. Grease your pie dish (I use coconut oil but really you can use anything). Roll out your pastry and place in the bottom of the dish. In a bowl, combine the shredded chicken, veggies, potatoes, soup, and salt and pepper (be generous). Pour this filling into your pie crust.

Now brush the edge with egg white so that the top crust will stick. Pinch with fingers, add a few teeny holes to let the air out, and brush all over with the remaining egg white. This makes the crust golden and crispy!



Bake for about 30 min--if the top isn't golden enough for you, turn up to 400 for the last 5 min or so.



Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......Best Sunday dinner!!! Throw a simple salad on the side and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment